Skill Level: Beginner
- FloraCraft® Brand Products
- foam Brand Foam products:
- +White Block, 8" x 8" x 8"
- +White Block, 2" x 4" 12"
- Spanish Moss
- Design It:® Foam Cutter
- Primer - Sealer™ (DecoArt®)*
- Colorado Texture Crackle (DecoArt®)*
- Burnt Umber Acrylic Paint (DecoArt® Americana®)*
- Matte Spray Sealer (DecoArt®)*
- Tacky Glue (Elmer's® Craft Bond™)*
- Jumbo craft stick
- 5" length of 1" wide wood dowel
- Spray bottle of water
- Clean plastic container
- 4 - 6 silk leaves
- Paint brush
- Fine sand paper
- Hand saw
- Paper towels
- Use foam cutter to cut slices off foam block to round corners. Refer to photo and cut out notches on all sides of block until desired “carved look” is achieved. Press end of dowel into top center of pumpkin going in about 1 1/2″ into pumpkin, so that dowel fits snuggly. (Note: For now, dowel will be used to hold pumpkin in following steps.)
- Protect work area with newspapers. According to manufacturer’s instructions apply Primer-Sealer™ to all sides of pumpkin. Place pumpkin upside down and insert dowel into 12″ block to dry. Let dry overnight. Use craft stick to apply Texture Crackle to all sides of pumpkin and let dry overnight.
- Use spray bottle of water to dampen entire pumpkin. In plastic container, thin burnt umber acrylic paint (approximately 2 parts paint to 1 part water) and mix with paint brush. Apply thinned paint to one side of pumpkin at a time including cut areas of pumpkin as well. Use damp paper towel to lighten and remove excess paint. Add more paint to recessed cuts to darken. Let dry.
- Remove dowel from pumpkin. Use hand saw to diagonally cut one end 5″ from other end. Paint dowel Burnt Umber and let dry. Use sand paper to lightly distress. Apply tacky glue to straight-cut end of stem and insert into pumpkin. Arrange leaves and glue around stem. Nestle pumpkin in Spanish moss to display.
* Products used for project as shown