Skill Level: Beginner
- FloraCraft® Brand Products:
- FloraCraft® Foam: 1 15/16" x 3 7/8" x 11 7/8" Block
- Old newspapers
- 4" x 12" piece brown paper bag
- Spray paint: Brown textured-stone finish
- Spray sealer (optional)
- Decoupage medium (or thinned craft glue)
- Four 3/8" diameter antique gold upholstery nails (or gold paper fasteners)
- 1 3/4" tall chipboard letters
- Brown inkpad
- Paint brush
- Small saucer
- Tear newspaper into approx. 2″ x 4″ irregular pieces. Pour decoupage medium into saucer. Brush medium on approx 5″ area of Foam Block. Press piece of torn newsprint onto glue, then brush additional decoupage medium over newsprint piece. Continue applying newsprint pieces, overlapping and alternating directions until Block is completely covered. Let dry. (Optional: Lightly spray with spray sealer if desired.)
- To distress edges, lightly rub ink pad in downward motion, along all edges of Block. If necessary, use finger to blend ink so that it fades going toward inside of Block sides.
- Tear 1/4 – 1/2″ off edges of brown paper bag piece. Carefully crumple paper, and then open to flatten. Similarly, use ink pad to distress edges of paper. Center paper on front of Block and attach at corners with upholstery tacks. Glue as needed but crumpled paper should not be totally flat against Block.
- In well-ventilated, newspaper-covered area, spray desired letters (family name) with textured stone spray. Let dry. Arrange letters and apply additional decoupage medium (as glue) to back of letters and attach to Block. Let dry.
- Display Family Sign on mantle, shelf or end table.