Fantastic Fruit Tree
Skill Level: Beginner
- FloraCraft® Brand Products:
- Make It: Fun® Foam Cone, 3 7/8" x 8 7/8"
- Green acrylic paint
- Firm, fresh fruit, such as: blueberries, honeydew melon, raspberries, mandarin oranges, red and green
- grapes, blackberries, strawberries and maraschino cherries
- 8” scissors (X-ACTO®)
- Plastic food wrap
- Paint brush
- Transparent tape
- Paper towels
- Paint STYROFOAM™ Cone with green paint. Let dry. To create barrier between painted Cone and fruit, wrap cone with one layer plastic wrap and use transparent tape to secure at back. Trim any excess, off top using scissors (without exposing Cone). Fold under and tape excess at bottom.
- For fruit selection, choose fruits that won’t discolor before serving (or use lemon juice.) Avoid fruits that are too soft to be suspended from toothpick without tearing. Plan fruit rows according to size (ranging from small on top to large on bottom) and alternate colors. (Tip: Vertically arrange piece of each fruit on paper towel to represent rows of fruit.)
- For top two rows of toothpicks, snap off and discard 1/3 of toothpick so that it doesn’t go through to other side. Insert toothpicks, one at a time, at 45 degree angle going through plastic wrap into Cone. After each toothpick is inserted, attach fruit. (Tip: It looks better to hang fruit so that it’s not touching tree.)
- Work in horizontal rows, spacing toothpicks and fruit, based on size of fruit. (Note: Toothpicks can be removed and repositioned as needed.) Irregularly shaped fruit, like apple or orange slices, can be hung horizontally or vertically.
- Optional: To serve, place fruit tree on platter, surrounded by additional fruit.