Skill Level: Beginner
What You'll Need
- STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam:
- One - Sheet, 18" x 12" x 1"
- Two- Balls, 4" diameter
- Five - Balls, 3" diameter
- One - Cube sized to fit inside watering can
- Watering Can
- 5/8" ribbon, yellow
- 3/8" ribbon, black
- Seven - 1/4" dowels
- Three - 1/2" dowels
- Felt pieces in brown, green, black
- Sequins, black
- Straight pins, black
- Glue Dots
Sunflowers & leaves
- Use black straight pins to adhere black sequins to half of each foam ball.
- Cut yellow ribbon into desired petal length.
- Bring ends of ribbon together and secure with two pins underneath ribbon at base of sequin line. [NOTE: It is important ribbon is pinned underneath so that it does not lay flat against the ball. ] Continue with ribbon all the way around sequin line.
- Cover remaining ball with black felt, securing with black straight pins.
- Cut leaf shapes from green felt. Secure beneath ribbon petals onto the foam ball.
- Apply glue dots along dowel.
- Wrap black ribbon around dowel, covering wood.
- Secure beginning and end of ribbon with glue do. These dots will not be seen as they will be pushed into the ball.
- Insert Sunflower head onto dowel stem
- From the foam sheet, cut three strips, each measuring 9″ x 2″.
- Using a scrap piece of foam as a sander, sand the corners of the strips until they are rounded. Repeat for top of cattail. Make sure there are no straight edges.
- Cut small, rectangular piece of brown felt and secure to the top of the cattail with black straight pins.
- With remaining brown felt, and overlapping the top piece slightly, cover the length of the cattail, securing with black straight pins along the back seam, and along the top and bottom.
- Insert cattail into large wooden dowel.
- Insert foam cube into watering can, cutting down the cube to fit, if needed.
- Add sunflowers and cattails by pushing stems into the foam cube.
- Cover base with moss, secure with black straight pins.