Wood Craft Stick Tree
Skill Level: Beginner
- FloraCraft® Brand Products:
- Make It: Fun® Foam Cone, 3 7/8" x 11 7/8"
- Design It:® Floral Shears
- Jumbo craft sticks, 3/4" x 6", approx. 60
- Design Master® ColorTool® Spray Color: October Brown and Glossy Wood Tone
- 5" – 6" diameter x 8" tall wood or brown ceramic candle pedestal (optional for display)
- Several twig branches (optional for display)
- Old newspapers
- Large cardboard box (for spraying)
- Glue gun and glue sticks
- In a well-ventilated, newspaper-covered area (inside cardboard box) spray Foam Cone with two light coats of October Brown and let dry. Remove from box and set aside.
- Wearing safety goggles and working over box, to catch the cut pieces, use Floral Shears to cut 60 jumbo craft sticks in half (3″ long each). On cut end of one, snip each side to trim to a point so that remaining piece measures 2″ from point to curved end. (Keep others away to prevent injury due to flying pieces going into box.)
- Beginning about 3/4″ from bottom of cone, insert one stick point so that piece is at a slight angle and rounded end is angled down. Insert another next to it and decide if the angle looks the way you want. Continue all around Foam Cone with sticks close to each other, creating the first row. About 3/4″ up from first row, start second row, but this time, vary the position a bit so that it looks more random and less like a row.
- Continue working up cone, every 3/4″ or so, creating irregular rows that go all around cone. Keep the sticks at the same angle as you go up.
- Near the top, pay attention to how the sticks are fitting as they angle around the top of the cone. Then at the very top, angle the tips of three sticks and hot glue them, to cover the top of the tree.
- After you’re finished, gently brush tree to find any loose sticks that need to be hot glued in place.
- Setting tree into box again, lightly spray tops of sticks with Glossy Wood tone. Check color and apply additional coat to darken but keep it light enough that there is contrast between cone and sticks. Let dry. Set on pedestal with sticks at base.
One Longfellow Place
Ludington, MI 49431
P.O. Box 601
Boulder, CO 80306