Wood Craft Stick Tree
Skill Level: Beginner
- FloraCraft® CraftFōM®:
- (1) 12" Cone - White
- (60) 3/4" x 6" Jumbo Craft Sticks
- Design Master® ColorTool® Spray Color: October Brown and Glossy Wood Tone
- 5" – 6" diameter x 8" tall wood or brown ceramic candle pedestal (optional for display)
- Several twig branches (optional for display)
- Floral Shears
- Old Newspapers
- Large Cardboard Box
- Glue Gun and Glue Sticks
- In a well-ventilated, newspaper-covered area (inside cardboard box) spray Foam Cone with two light coats of October Brown and let dry. Remove from box and set aside.
- Wearing safety goggles and working over the box, to catch the cut pieces, use Floral Shears to cut 60 jumbo craft sticks in half (3″ long each). On the cut end of one, snip each side to trim to a point so that the remaining piece measures 2″ from point to curved end. (Keep others away to prevent injury due to flying pieces going into the box.)
- Beginning about 3/4″ from the bottom of the cone, insert one stick point so that piece is at a slight angle and the rounded end is angled down. Insert another next to it and decide if the angle looks the way you want. Continue all around Foam Cone with sticks close to each other, creating the first row. About 3/4″ up from the first row, start the second row, but this time, vary the position a bit so that it looks more random and less like a row.
- Continue working up the cone, every 3/4″ or so, creating irregular rows that go all around cone. Keep the sticks at the same angle as you go up.
- Near the top, pay attention to how the sticks are fitting as they angle around the top of the cone. Then at the very top, angle the tips of three sticks and hot glue them, to cover the top of the tree.
- After you’re finished, gently brush the tree to find any loose sticks that need to be hot glued in place.
- Setting tree into the box again, lightly spray tops of sticks with Glossy Wood tone. Check color and apply an additional coat to darken but keep it light enough that there is the contrast between cone and sticks. Let dry. Set on a pedestal with sticks at the base.