Fun Food Topiaries!
Skill Level: Beginner
- FloraCraft® Brand Products:
- Desert Foam® Brick
- STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam: 8” x 2” Green Disc
- 5/8” Wood Dowel (20” long)
- Floral Moss
- Permanent Flowers and Green Filler
- Permanent Grapes, Mini Pears, Mini Artichokes
- Large head of Broccoli
- Leaf Lettuce
- Floral Pins
- Florist Wire
- Low Temp Glue Gun
- Sharp Knife
- Trim the foam block with a sharp knife to fit container. Foam should sit 1-2 inches below the top of the container. Glue foam into container with low temp glue gun. Place glue on bottom and sides of foam to insure stability.
- (Add weight to the container by pouring sand or gravel into the container first and gluing the foam on top of the gravel. This will prevent it from being top heavy!)
- Cut ends of wood dowel at 45-degree angle. Glue one end of dowel centered into the side of the disc. Glue opposite end of the dowel into the center of the foam base, drive the end of the dowel deep into the bottom of the container.
- To cover dowel; glue one end of a piece of ribbon to the top of the dowel and wrap it around the dowel down to the base and glue again. Cover foam with preserved moss. Cut Permanent Flowers to length and push into foam base. Secure permanent grapes with florist wire and glue into base. Insert toothpicks into permanent pears and artichokes and pick into foam base. Fill in around base with green filler.
- Cover foam disc with lettuce, overlapping the leaves as you go, creating a decorative edge around the disc, secure in place using floral pins. Cut up Broccoli into small florets (other fruit, vegetables or food products like cheese cubes or shrimp can be used) and place a toothpick into each floret. Place toothpick-stemmed food arranged into lettuce covered disc.
Helpful hint: When using Fresh Fruit, place lime juice in a spray bottle and mist the cut up fruit to prevent browning. These Topiary Forms can be used over and over again. Or simply cover the top with additional permanent flowers for a lasting memory of your party or special event!