Garden Turtle Planter
Skill Level: Beginner
- 12” Straw Wreath (FloraCraft)
- 10” Straw Wreath (FloraCraft)
- 8” Straw Wreath (FloraCraft)
- Five – 5” Straw Mini Bales (FloraCraft)
- 2” Micro Straw Bale (FloraCraft)
- Natural Jute or Twine
- Plant Stakes or Craft Sticks
- Two Mini Pine Cones (for eyes)
- Low Temp Glue Gun
- To create the turtle’s shell, stack the straw wreaths on top of each other largest to smallest. Wrap the twine around the wreaths to tightly bind them together.
- To attach the feet, glue a 6” length of a plant stake or a craft stick into the side of four bales, glue the sticks into the bales centered between the wires about 2” in from one end. For easier insertion of the stick, first use a metal awl to pilot a hole. Leave about 3” of the stick exposed to push into the 12” wreath. Attach the feet to the bottom of the 12” wreath evenly spaced on each side of the shell. Glue the stick from each foot into the wreath. Use a good amount of glue for better stability.
- To attach the head, glue a stick into the end of a 5” bale and glue the head onto the front of the turtle’s shell, looking up at an angle, (see photo). Glue two mini pine cones to the front of the head for eyes.
- Attach the tail in the same manner as the head centered between the two back feet.
Place a potted plant inside the turtles shell and place in the garden or anywhere you would like to add some interest to your yard.