Garden Turtle Planter
Skill Level: Beginner
- FloraCraft Straw Wreaths:
- FloraCraft Straw Bales
- (5) 5" Mini Straw Bales
- 2" Micro Straw Bale
- Jute or Twine - Natural
- Plant Stakes or Craft Sticks
- (2) Mini Pine Cones
- Low Temp Glue Gun
- To create the turtle’s shell, stack the straw wreaths on top of each other largest to smallest. Wrap the twine around the wreaths to tightly bind them together.
- To attach the feet, glue a 6” length of a plant stake or a craft stick into the side of four bales; glue the sticks into the bales centered between the wires about 2” in from one end. First, use a metal awl to pilot a hole for easier stick insertion. Leave about 3” of the stick exposed to push into the 12” wreath. Attach the feet to the bottom of the 12” wreath evenly spaced on each side of the shell. Glue the stick from each foot into the wreath. Use a good amount of glue for better stability.
- To attach the head, glue a stick into the end of a 5” bale and the head onto the front of the turtle’s shell, looking up at an angle (see photo). Glue two mini pine cones to the front of the head for the eyes.
- Attach the tail in the same manner as the head centered between the two back feet.
Place a potted plant inside the turtle’s shell and place it in the garden or anywhere you would like to add some interest to your yard.