Hanging Flower Cans
Skill Level: Beginner
What You'll Need
- FloraCraft® :
- Design It:® Silks & Naturals®, Desert Foam® Mug Plugs, 2 5/8" x 3 3/4", two
- Design It:® SimpleStyle® Wired Burlap Ribbon, 2 1/2" wide x 24" length, natural
- Design It:®
- Make It: Fun® Foam Cutter
- Design Master®:
- ColorTool® spray color: White, Yellow, Fuchsia Bright
- 3 1/2" diameter x 6" tall (approx.) empty soup cans, two
- Chevron grosgrain ribbon, 5/8" wide x 1 1/3 yds. of each: Fuchsia and Yellow
- Gerber Daisies, 4" diameter, two of each: Fuchsia and Yellow
- Yellow Forsythia, 1 branch
- Fuchsia small wild Daisy, 1 branch
- Aleene's®: (iLoveToCreate®)
- Turbo Tacky Glue®
- Max Tacky Adhesive™ Glue Stick
- Misc.: Old newspapers, large cardboard box (for spraying), wood pencil (full length), ruler, large crochet needle, transparent tape, hammer, large nail, screwdriver
- Thoroughly clean soup cans of all labels and glue – wash with soapy water and dry. In well-ventilated, newspaper-covered area (inside box) spray each can with two coats of each in the following order, drying in between: primer, white, and either yellow or fuchsia. Let dry.
- Measure and mark bottom center (outside) of one can. Using a hammer and large nail, pound a hole in can on mark. Carefully work nail around to expand hole large enough for pencil to fit. (Check that pencil fits.) Apply Turbo Tacky glue to bottom of Foam Mug Plug and insert down into can. Let dry. Repeat with other can.
- Insert pencil through hole in bottom of can with one hand, while holding Mug Plug in place inside (since pressure will be great.) Push pencil all the way through can and Mug Plug, being careful to go straight up so that hole on top of Mug Plug is still centered. Remove pencil. Repeat with other can.
- Use Floral Shears to cut 1 yd. length of each chevron ribbon. (Use opposite colors on cans.) Tape end of ribbon to crochet needle and feed through hole of can/Mug Plug. Tie overhand knot 3″ up from bottom end, leaving a tail. Repeat with other can.
- Cut 12″ length Burlap Ribbon and apply glue stick to one side. Press against middle of can with ends slightly overlapping on back. (Trim as needed and use glue stick to hold.) Cut and glue 12″ length chevron ribbon around middle of burlap ribbon, slightly overlapping on back. (Use same color ribbon as hanger ribbon.) Repeat with other can.
- Use Wire Cutter to cut apart flower stems. Insert small yellow and fuchsia flower in opposite color cans. Then insert same color larger daisies into each can.
- Align top ends of ribbon and tie together using strong overhand knot. Hang over separate pegs, with cans different heights.
One Longfellow Place
Ludington, MI 49431
P.O. Box 601
Boulder, CO 80306
A Duncan Enterprises Company
5673 East Shields Ave.
Fresno, CA 93727