Jute-Wrapped Cone Sconce
Skill Level: Beginner
What You'll Need
- FloraCraft® Foam Cone, 4 7/8" x 17 7/8"
- Design It:®
- Pumpkins, 2" and 3" size (any color)
- Design Master® ColorTool® spray color: Vanilla (pumpkins), Antique Gold (cone)
- Assorted fall florals:
- Black Eyed Susan bush
- Eucalyptus pods, orange
- Grass/berry bush
- Amaranthus (green dangling)
- Elmer's® CraftBond® All Purpose Glue Stick
- Glue gun and glue sticks
- 15" tall vase or container (to temporarily hold cone while working on arrangement)
- Old newspapers
- Large cardboard box (for spraying)
- The Foam Cone should be painted so that any spaces between Jute Twine wraps don’t show through as white. Also, the wide end will be left uncovered so that florals can be inserted and that would look better not being white. So, in a well-ventilated, newspaper-covered area (inside box) spray Foam Cone Antique Gold. While spraying, also spray pumpkins with two coats Vanilla. Let dry.
- To cover Foam Cone, unwrap just a few feet from one Jute Twine carded package but don’t cut it. (Unroll from the card as you go.) Apply generous amount of glue stick to pointed end of Foam Cone at top and down sides a couple of inches. Place end of Jute at center point and coil it around itself until pointed end is covered in a spiral. Then continue down side of cone, pulling enough Jute off card as needed. Apply glue stick as you go and continue wrapping Jute around Foam Cone, working toward wider end of Cone.
- When one package of Jute is used, apply extra glue stick to end and press against Cone. Similarly, start new Jute package by nestling new end close to last one and continue around cone, concealing joint as much as possible. Continue working down Cone until you reach the wide, flat end. Use Floral Shears to trim Jute and glue to seal end.
- In order to arrange flowers, temporarily set Jute-wrapped Cone into vase, with wide end up. Since Cone Sconce will be displayed at an angle, arrange flowers at the angle you choose, right or left. Select largest and longest florals (such as eucalyptus) and insert into center of Cone. Allow ends to drape down but wait to trim lengths on anything until after hanging on wall. Use Floral Pins if needed to hold florals, as you go.
- Use Wire Cutter to cut apart grasses and bushes into smaller groups and insert all around florals, filling out arrangement. Last, add accents of Lazy Susan flowers. Position and hot glue pumpkins in desired places. (Note: If you prefer, add the last accents after hanging on wall.)
- For hanger loop, decide angle to Floral Cone and where back will be. Align ends of 6″ length Jute and make overhand knot. Insert Floral Pin through knot, dot with hot glue and insert and into top back of Floral Cone. Hang Cone Sconce on wall at angle. Adjust and trim florals as needed, to drape as desired.
One Longfellow Place
Ludington, MI 49431
P.O. Box 601
Boulder, CO 80306
Elmer’s® Products, Inc.
460 Polaris Pkwy. Ste. 500
Westerville, OH 43082