Fa-Boo-Lous Felt Friends
Skill Level: Beginner
- FloraCraft® CraftFōM®:
- (1) 8" Ball - White
- (1) 1.5” Ball - White
- (1) 12”x 5” Block - White
- (3) 8”x 1” Discs - White
- (1) 12” Cone - White
- Dark Green
- Lime Green
- Assorted Sized Buttons:
- Black and
- Thin Wood Dowel
- Chenille Stem - Black
- Acrylic Paint - Black
- Foam Tools
- Low-Temp Hot Glue Gun and Glue Sticks
- Serrated Knife
- Paint Brush
- Straight Pins
Jack O’ Lantern –
- Cut a small flat spot off the top and bottom of the 8” ball. Cut a small 1” hole about 1” deep in the top of the ball. Use your fingers to press the foam around the hole to create a rounded slope at the top of the pumpkin.
- Cut seven 12” lengths of string. Pin the strings around the pumpkin from top to bottom evenly spaced. Use the scribe tool to press a line along each of the strings from top to bottom. Remove the strings.
- Cut the seven pumpkin sections from the orange felt using the template as a guide. Lay a felt section centered over the scribed section on the pumpkin. Use the tucking tool to tuck the edges of the felt into the scribed lines. Alternate tucking the felt on each side of the section to keep the felt smooth. Repeat to cover the rest of the pumpkin.
- Cut a triangle shape from the dark green felt about 6” tall and 4” wide at the bottom. Roll the triangle up from the wide end to the point to create the stem. Glue the stem in place. Cut two small leaf shapes and glue them by the stem. Cut two small circles into spirals and glue them by the stem for the vines.
- Cut the triangle eyes, nose, and mouth from yellow felt. Cut the eyes nose and mouth out slightly smaller from the black felt. Be sure to cut out the notches for the teeth in the black felt. Glue all the parts in place. Glue orange buttons to the eyes.
PDF FELT Jack O’Lantern TEMPLATE:
BLACK CAT –
- Glue the three 8” discs together one on top of the other. Cut a 3” flat spot on the bottom of the stacked disc so that the cat can stand on the edge. Glue a 3” wide strip of black felt around the outside edge of the disc to completely cover.
- Cut two 16” circles from the black felt. Use scissors to cut the wide fringe into the edge of the two circles. Cut the fringe about 3” long and about 1” wide. Be sure that both circles have the same number of fringe as they will be paired up and tied together. Sandwich the disc between the two felt circles.
- Cut the three pieces of bottom fringe that align with the flat spot at the bottom of the disc to about 1.5”. Glue the fringe flat against the bottom of the disc. This will create a flat surface for the disc to stand on and keep the felt in place as you tie the fringe. Begin tying the front and back fringe together around the disc. Work back and forth from side to side as you tie to keep the felt centered on the disc. You should end at the top of the disc.
- Cut out the ears and face parts from the corresponding colors of felt and glue them to the face. When attaching the eyelids, glue just the top curved edge of the lid above the eye. Allow the bottom edge of the lid to curve out and hang free over the eye to add dimension. Glue black buttons to the eyes as shown. Glue a small pleat in the center of the bottom of the ears to give them a shape. Glue the ears to the top of the head about 2” apart.
GREEN MONSTER –
- Cut 2” from the 5” edge of the sheet. Glue this 2” piece to the front of the remaining 10” piece to form an “L” shape. Glue lime green felt to cover the front and sides of the foam.
- Cut five 9”x 4” pieces of felt. Cut ¼” fringe about 3.5” long along the 9” edge of each piece. Cut one 9”x 5” piece of felt and cut ¼” fringe about 4.5” long along the 9” edge. Glue this piece across the front of the 2” base and around to the back. Glue the remaining fringed felt layered up the front of the body evenly spaced.
- Cut a 9”x 3” piece of felt and cut fringe the same way for the hair. Loosely roll the fringe from 3” edge to 3” edge. Glue the hair to the top of the head.
- Cut out the face parts from the black and white felt. Glue the parts in place. Glue large and small buttons to the eyes.
- To create the legs and feet, cut the 1.5” ball in half. Paint the two halves black and let dry. Cut two 3.5” lengths of dowel and paint black as well. Glue the dowel into the top rounded side of each ball and set it aside.
- Cut a triangle from the white felt that is 24” at the base and 13” tall. Glue the felt triangle into a cone shape overlapping the edges about a ½”. Place the foam cone inside the felt cone. Trim and fold the top of the felt neatly over the top of the foam cone to secure it in place.
- Glue the legs into the bottom of the body about 2” apart. Wrap black chenille stems around the legs to completely cover.
- Cut two small circles and a mouth shape of black felt and glue in place for the eyes. Glue black buttons in the center of the eyes.