Witch Hat Centerpiece
Skill Level: Beginner
(See below for how to photos)
- To create the top curved portion of the hat, first cut the bottom 8” off of the cone. Set this piece aside. Cut about 5” off the bottom of the remaining cone. Set this piece aside. Cut another 5” from the bottom of the remaining cone. Set this piece aside. Cut the last remaining portion of the cone in half creating two sections about 3” long for the top of the hat. Use the foam cutter or serrated knife to cut the ends of each section of the cone at an angle to help create the curve of the hat. Glue each section together as shown inserting a craft stick between the sections before gluing. Glue the top of the hat to the center of the foam disc.
- Cover the entire hat with strips of black duct tape, overlapping each piece for a strong hold.
- Gather the end of the black mesh together and pin it to the tip of the hat. Leave about a 3” tail of mesh hang from the tip of the hat. Insert a 12” length of wire into the tip of the hat. Twist the wire around the 3” tail of mesh and create a hook at the end of the wire to hang the jewel as shown. Continue wrapping the gathered mesh down the top portion of the hat to completely cover, pinning as you go. Pin the gathered mesh around the top portion of the brim to completely cover, pinning in place as you go. Cut the mesh and pin the end where you stop.
- Pin the feather boa around the brim of the hat. Pin the glittered ribbon around the base of the hat as shown. Hang the jewel from the wire at the tip of the hat.
- Arrange the flowers, glittered leaves and pumpkin picks around the brim of the hat. Pin and glue to secure in place.