Skill Level: Beginner
- FloraCraft® Brand Products:
- Make It: Fun® Diorama Kit, 6" x 15"
- Design It: ® 6.5" Wire Cutter (for adult use only)
- Acrylic paint: Yellow and sky blue
- 20 - 24 toothpicks
- 48" length thin fishing line
- Three 3/8" diameter white thumbtacks
- Three 1/4" diameter silver metal brads
- Small amount fiberfill (stuffing)
- Five 4 – 4 1/2" toy airplanes
- 8 1/2" x 11" blue paper
- Tacky glue (Elmer's® CraftBond®)
- 8" scissors (X-ACTO®)
- Computer and inkjet printer (optional)
- Coffee mug
- Paper bag
- Paint brush
- Paper towels
- Water container
- Glue gun and glue sticks (for adult use only)
- Old newspapers
- On newspaper-covered work surface, paint one side and all edges of Diorama sheets yellow. Let dry. Turn over pieces and paint other sides sky blue. Let dry.
- Refer to package instructions to assemble Diorama using tacky glue and toothpicks. Stretch and pull pieces of fiberfill to make cloud-like puffy strands. Use small dots of tacky glue to glue scattered clouds to inside bottom and back of Diorama.
- Pick three planes that can hang in the “sky” while two are setting on “clouds”. Place one plane on rim of mug to find balance point. (Note: Balance point will be directly above edge of cup.) Ask an adult to use Wire Cutter to clip off prongs of metal brad into paper bag to catch flying prongs. Cut and fold one 16” length fishing line in half and knot together ends with an overhand knot. Ask an adult to hot glue head of brad over knotted end of fish line to balance point of airplane. Repeat with other two planes.
- Place other two planes in clouds on bottom of Diorama to decide where three planes will hang. Use pencil to mark inside top of Diorama, where planes should hang. (Note: Two are toward front and one toward back.) Carefully straighten one end of paper clip to use as a tool to gently twist hole up through top of Diorama at pencil mark. Thread fishing line loop up through hole. Deciding height of plane and wrap fishing line around thumbtack. Ask an adult to hot glue tack into hole, making sure to glue fishing line to hold. Trim excess line. Repeat to hang other planes.(Optional: Paint thumbtacks yellow.) Reposition two planes on bottom of Diorama.
- Use computer and printer to print title on blue paper (or hand write). Use scissors to trim title to 1 1/2″ wide by as long as title is. Use a few dots of tacky glue to attach title to top front edge of Diorama.