Baby Reveal Cake
Skill Level: Beginner
- FloraCraft® Brand Products:
- Make It: Fun®: STYROFOAM™:
- Cake Forms: one 4" x 8" and one 4" x 10"
- Ball: one, 4" diameter
- Foam Cutter
- 6 1/2" Wire Cutter
- 12" x 12" scrapbooking paper, one blue, one pink, and two white with pastel polka dots
- Grosgrain ribbon:
- 32" length of 7/8" wide pink
- 38" length of 7/8" wide blue
- Note: add an additional 8" length of either of the 7/8" wide ribbons (for the reveal – pink or blue)
- 32" length of 3/8" wide purple
- 38" length of 3/8" wide green
- 4" diameter Gerber daisies, one each: pink, blue, yellow and green
- 12" diameter clear plastic cake plate
- All purpose glue stick (Elmer's® CraftBond®)
- Glue tape runner (Elmer's® CraftBond®)
- X-ACTO® Tools:
- 12" rotary paper trimmer
- X-3000™ craft knife
- 8" stainless steel scissors
- 12" metal ruler
- Glue gun and glue sticks
- With pencil, trace 8″ cake form onto pink paper and 10″cake form onto blue paper. Use scissors to cut out. Apply generous amount of all purpose glue stick to tops of cake forms and attach paper circles.
- Use rotary paper trimmer to cut six 4″ x 12″ strips polka dot paper. On 10″ diameter cake, apply glue stick to cake form and attach paper strip. Continue to attach paper strips, adjoining ends, until sides are covered. Repeat with 8″ cake form.
- To cut wedge on 8″ cake, find top center of cake and use pencil and metal ruler to lightly draw 3″ wide wedge. Then draw lines down sides of cake. With craft knife and metal ruler, neatly cut, just through scrapbooking paper. Then use Design It:® Foam Cutter to cut through STYROFOAM™. Remove wedge and wrap cut edges with 8″ length ribbon (color is dependent on baby’s gender) and attach with glue stick. Re-insert wedge in cake to conceal.
- Use tape runner to attach green ribbon, centered on blue ribbon. Wrap ribbons around 8″ cake and tie knot close to wedge. (Tip: Use tape runner to spot glue ribbon to cake to hold in place but not on slice that will be removed.) Similarly attach purple to pink ribbon and then attach to 10″ cake. Stack and use glue gun to glue cake layers together.
- (Note: Floral cake topper is intentionally not glued to top of cake, but instead, is set on cake for easy removal when it’s “reveal” time.) Use Foam Cutter to cut 1/3 slice off STYROFOAM™ Ball. (Tip: Save larger piece for future project.) Place slice, cut side down, on top center of cake. Use 6 1/2″ Wire Cutter to cut stems off daisies. Arrange and use glue gun to attach daisies to ball dome.
- Place cake on plate. When revealing, just remove cake topper to reach cake wedge. (Congratulations!)
One Longfellow Place
Ludington, MI 49431
Elmer’s® Products, Inc.
460 Polaris Pkwy. Ste. 500
Westerville, OH 43082