Baby Shower Surprise
Skill Level: Beginner
- FloraCraft® CraftFōM®:
- (1) 1-3/16" x 9-7/8" x 11-7/8" Block - White
- (2) 15/16" x 9-7/8" Discs - White
- (5) 15/16" x 3-7/8" Discs - White
- (2) 1 1/2" Balls - White
- (11) 1" Balls - White
- 16" Yarn:
- 1 1/4" Buttons - Yellow
- 5/8" Balls - White
- Acrylic Paint:
- Skin Color
- Serrated Knife
- Cutting Mat
- Paintbrushes - Large and Medium
- Permanent Fine Line Black Marker
- 2" x 3" Peach or White Cardstock
- Container of Water
- (5) Paper Plates
- Paper Towels
- Glue Gun & Glue Sticks
- (8-12) Cake Pops (on sticks), Mini Cupcakes, Frosted in Pastel Colors.
- For reveal, use a white cake mix and add either blue or pink coloring to create boy or girl cake pops/cupcakes!
- Before removing plastic from large foam discs for carriage, find the center using a ruler and marker to draw vertical and horizontal lines on each Disc package. Where lines cross is the center. On the cutting mat, use a ruler and serrated knife to cut out a wedge from the center up, along a vertical line, and from the center out to the right, along a horizontal line. (Note: Cut through plastic and Foam layers with several passes of the knife, keeping the knife perpendicular to Foam so that edges are straight.) Align discs and use a glue gun to glue them together to make one thick disc. Save wedges to use later.
- For the baby’s head, draw lines on one small foam disc. But then measure about 1″ farther left and draw a parallel line. Also, measure 1″ farther down and draw a parallel line. Cut on those lines (so that more of the baby’s head shows when glued to the carriage). (Note: With this one, you’re using the wedge and saving the remainder of the disc for later.)
- Cut all Foam Balls in half. To smooth and round all edges/corners, press the Foam edge down onto the table with even pressure as you rotate and smooth. Repeat with the rest of the foam pieces.
- Squeeze turquoise paint onto a paper plate and use a large brush to paint all sides of the carriage. Similarly, paint all sides of the baby’s Foam head wedge skin color; all sides of four small Discs green; the top and edges of Foam Block orange; and the rounded sides of all Ball halves yellow. (Note: To let dry, use toothpicks stuck into flat backs of ball halves and pressed into the scrap Foam saved earlier.)
- Before assembling, use toothpicks to connect parts to be sure they’re where you want them and reinforce the connection. Use a glue gun to assemble: Head into the carriage; two wheels onto each side (checking to be sure carriage stands properly); larger Foam Ball halves on wheel centers; and smaller Foam Ball halves evenly spaced around the carriage as shown (11 per side). To attach the carriage to the orange base, set it at an angle and use toothpicks from the wheels down into the base. (By not gluing, you can dismantle to store more easily.)
- From black felt, cut two 1/2″ crescent shapes for eyes. From pink felt, cut two 1 1/2″ circles for cheeks. Glue cheeks and eyes to both sides of the head. Glue ball button in the center of large button and glue to edge of head for a pacifier. Cut four 4″ lengths of yarn and tie an overhand knot close to one end. Use scissors points to make a hole on top of the head and glue a knot down into it. Then separate yarn strands to make the hair fluffy.
- Use a marker to write “Baby Reveal (cake inside is blue or pink).” Glue toothpick to back and insert into the front of the base.
- Insert cake pop sticks about 3/4″ away from edges on base – one in each corner and one or two in between. Or, line up cupcakes all along the edge.