Birthday Cake Centerpiece
Skill Level: Beginner
- STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam:
- Cake Forms: 4x8”, 4x10” and 4x12”
- Three - 5”
- Twelve - 1.5”
- Two - 3” Cubes
- Satin Acetate Ribbon: (3 Yds) 2.5” white
- Satin Ribbon: (3 yds) 5/8” red/white and 1.5” red/white polka dot
- Tissue Paper: orange, red, purple, yellow, blue and bright green
- Curling Ribbon: blue, orange, white and bright green
- Wood Dowels: 3/16”
- Acrylic Paint: white
- Design It® Foam Cutter or Serrated Knife
- Low-Temp Glue Gun
- Paint Brush
- Glue the cake tiers together evenly centered one on top of the next as shown.
- Glue a piece of the 2.5” white ribbon around the top edge of each tier about ¼” down from the top.
- Glue the 1.5” red and white, polka dot ribbon around the bottom of each tier and glue the 5/8” red and white ribbon to the top of each tier.
- Wrap tissue paper squares around each 1.5” ball and twist the two open ends together to create the candies. Glue the candies evenly spaced around the bottom two tiers.
- Wrap (like a present) one of the 3” cubes with the green tissue paper.
- Use the serrated knife to cut the other 3” cube in half. Wrap one half with the purple tissue paper. Cut the other half in half again and wrap half with the orange tissue paper. Cut the last half in half again and wrap one piece with yellow tissue paper and the other red. Decorate gifts with curling ribbons and set aside.
- Cut three dowels 15”, 12” and 10”, paint them white and let dry.
- Glue each dowel about 1” into the center of each of the 5” balls to create the balloons. Center the top of the ball into a sheet of tissue paper and wrap around the ball, gathering at the dowel. Tie a piece of curling ribbon around the gathered tissue to hold in place then curl the ends of the ribbon. Glue the three dowels into the top of the cake towards the back. Glue the gifts stacked in front of the balloons.
Here are ideas for other kinds of celebrations: