Skill Level: Beginner
What You'll Need
- FloraCraft® Make It: Fun® Foam:
- Cube: (1) 4.8" x 4.8" x 4.8"
- Cube: (2) 7.8" x 7.8" x 7.8"
- (Note: If a block size is unavailable, you can use a larger block and cut it down, or use a
- couple layers of sheet foam, stacked to make the size block you need. When it’s sprayed
- you won’t see the layers.)
- Winter Snow
- ColorTex spray textured finish, flurry (white) (Design Master®)
- Small child's winter stocking hat and matching mittens
- Artificial vegetable, 3" long, orange carrot
- Five 1 1/4" diameter, round, in colors to match hat and mittens
- Five 3/4" diameter, flower-shaped, in coordinating colors
- Two 1" diameter, flower-shaped, blue
- Two 12" long branches
- Four – six toothpicks
- Serrated knife
- Old newspapers
- Large cardboard box (for spraying)
- Glue gun and glue sticks
- One of the two larger Foam Cubes needs to be cut down to approx. a 6″ cube, which will create a size between the other two cubes. Use ruler and pencil to measure 6″ and draw cutting lines on two adjacent edges. Then use serrated knife to off excess. Use Foam scraps to sand cut edges to even out if there are any irregular cuts. Now turn Foam and repeat trimming and sanding to make it 6″ long on all sides. (Note: Now you should have three cubes that are graduating in size.)
- To round off sharp corners and edges on one block, use serrated knife to vertically trim off each of the four corners. Then trim off each of those eight corners to round the edges more. Turn Foam and repeat to round all edges, as evenly as possible. Sand cut edges with Foam scraps.
- In a well-ventilated, newspaper-covered area (inside cardboard box) spray each cube with one light coat of ColorTex. Let dry. Then spray with two more coats. Also spray twigs with a light dusting to look like snow. Let dry overnight to fully harden.
- Put hat on smallest cube to determine where larger flower button eyes go; hot glue. Position carrot at downward angle, and insert large end into Foam close to eyes. (Tip: Make a starter hole with pencil first.) Hot glue.
- Vertically line up and glue two round buttons to middle-sized cube and three to largest cube. Then glue smaller flower buttons inside round ones, varying colors.
- To assemble snowman, angle blocks according to photo and insert several toothpicks into contact points between each cube. Then separate, apply hot glue to area and toothpicks and reinsert. Hold a couple of minutes to be sure glue has set.
- Insert twigs into sides of middle cube, hot gluing if needed. Put mittens on ends of twigs, noticing which way thumbs should go.
- Set snowman in display area and sprinkle Winter Snow all around the bottom.
One Longfellow Place
Ludington, MI 49431
P.O. Box 601
Boulder, CO 80306