Book Report Diorama
Skill Level: Beginner
- FloraCraft® Brand Products:
- Make It: Fun® Diorama Kit, 6" x 15"
- Design It:® Raffia, small amount natural tan
- Acrylic paint, red and tan
- 20 - 24 round toothpicks
- Two 12" x 12" sheets cardstock, red and white
- White paint marker (Elmer's® Painters®)
- Plastic animals:
- 5 1/2" long black & white cow
- 3 1/2" white sheep
- 5 1/2" brown horse
- 2" long pink pig
- 2" long duck
- 2" long set of baby chicks
- 1 1/2" long black spider
- 5 1/2" tall doll
- Tacky glue (Elmer's® CraftBond®)
- 8" scissors (X-ACTO®)
- Small rubber band
- Mechanical pencil
- Paint brush
- Transparent tape
- Two straight pins
- Glue gun and glue sticks (for adult use only)
- Old newspapers
- (Optional: To create “barn board” look inside Diorama, horizontal or vertical grooves can be made. Hold side panels up against back panels to see that they will run vertically – sides will overlap top and bottom of Diorama. Then decide which way you want the grooves to run on inside back and side panels.)
- Place back and both side panels of Diorama on work surface. Use pencil and ruler to mark and then draw vertical or horizontal lines 1/2″ apart. Then go back over the lines pressing with pencil (with lead retracted) to make grooves.
- Turn over grooved panels (grooved side down). On newspaper-covered work surface, paint all pieces and edges of Diorama sheets red. Let dry. Turn over pieces and paint tan. Let dry.
- Refer to package instructions to assemble Diorama using tacky glue and toothpicks.
- For roof, trace half-pattern twice on white cardstock and cut out. Place roof pieces side by side and use transparent tape on back to tape together. Similarly trace, cut and tape two red roof pieces. Position by centering red on white roof pieces and use tacky glue to spot glue together.
- For barn door, measure and use scissors to cut 3 1/2″ x 4″ white rectangle; two 3/8″ x 4 1/2″ white strips; and 2 1/2″ x 3 1/4″ red rectangle. Position and glue white strips in “X” on red rectangle and trim excess strips. Center mount and glue red on white rectangles. Position and glue door to roof.
- Referring to photo, use paint marker to draw spider web and write name of book on roof. Let dry.
- To attach roof, squeeze a line of tacky glue along top front edge of Diorama and position roof. Use straight pins to hold in place until glue dries. Then remove pins.
- For barn straw, grasp a bunch of raffia and diagonally cut all at once into 2″ lengths. Scatter straw on floor of Diorama.
- Use rubber band to gather doll’s hair into ponytail to represent book’s character. Position animals and doll in Diorama. Ask an adult to use glue gun to glue spider to roof.