Carved Textured Pumpkin
Skill Level: Beginner
- FloraCraft® Brand Products:
- Make It: Fun® FloraCraft® Foam Ball, 8" diameter
- Design It:®
- +Floral Foam Knife
- +Floral Shears
- +2 1/2" wide Wired Burlap Ribbon, Green, 10" length
- Design Master®
- +ColorTool®) Spray color: October Brown
- +ColorTex® Textured Finish: Pumpkin (color)
- Knarled stick from outdoors, approx. 1 1/2" diameter x 5 1/2" long
- 3 large rubber bands (and a couple extra in case of breakage)
- Permanent black marker
- Old metal or plastic fork
- Old newspapers
- Large cardboard box (for spraying)
- Glue gun and glue sticks
- To evenly divide ball into six equal sections, place one rubber band vertically around ball. Vertically place second and third rubber bands onto ball, so that all rubber bands cross each other at top center and bottom center. Adjust rubber bands to make six equal sections. Use marker to trace along one edge of each rubber band. Remove rubber bands.
- Use Floral Foam Knife to cut 4″ diameter slice off both top and bottom of ball (where marker lines meet). To make pumpkin creases, use knife to cut along one vertical marker line, going in about 1″ deep. Then shave off foam on each side of line. Continue shaving until edges along that line are rounded, like a pumpkin crease. Repeat with all six lines. At top, shave off foam to make pumpkin round and indent at center.
- Press stick into top center, going in about 2″. Continue shaving ball to shape into pumpkin as needed. When satisfied, carefully remove and set aside stick for now. Insert fork into stem opening to hold pumpkin while spraying.
- In a well-ventilated, newspaper-covered area, (inside cardboard box) spray entire pumpkin with October Brown. Then lightly spray with pumpkin-color textured finish, allowing brown to still show through. (Note: If pumpkin is too brown, spray more textured finish. If it becomes too light, simply re-spray brown again and then apply a lighter application of textured finish.) Let dry. Remove fork.
- Use Floral Shears to cut 6″ and 4″ lengths Green Wired Burlap Ribbon. Pinch each at one end and hot glue both ends just down into opening where stem goes. Apply glue to bottom of stick and reinsert for stem. Gently pull and scrunch burlap ribbon to shape. Fray slightly as desired.
One Longfellow Place
Ludington, MI 49431
P.O. Box 601
Boulder, CO 80306