Christmas Candy Train
Skill Level: Beginner
- Design It:® Foam Cutter or Serrated Knife
- Low-Temp Glue Gun
- Paint Brush
- Use the Foam Cutter or serrated knife to cut four 4” x 6” pieces from the foam sheet. Glue four 1.5” balls to the bottom of three of the pieces; these are the wheels for the train cars. Position the balls on the foam sheets so that the sides of the balls are even with or slightly further out than the 6” edge of the foam sheets. Also be sure to position the balls about ½” back from each 4” edge. Glue six 1.5” ball wheels to the last foam sheet. This is the engine. Space them evenly on the bottom. Position the balls along the 6” edges and just back from the 4” edges, as you did with the three cars.
- To assemble the engine, glue the 3” cube along one 4” edge of top of the foam sheet. Cut the top 3” from the cone. Glue the 3” cone top to the front of the engine centered on the opposite 4” edge. Cut another 1.5” off the top of the cone base. Glue the cut side of the cone base to the front of the engine. Cut a small slice off the bottom edge of the cone so that it sets flat on the table. Cut enough off so that the top edge of the cone is even with the top of the engine base, as shown.
- Paint the train engine (not including the wheels) red. While the paint is still wet, sprinkle with red glitter. As the paint dries it will secure the glitter to the train.
- Cut lengths of the 2” ribbon and glue around the edges of the three train cars. Position the ribbons edge even with the bottom of the cars. The top edge of the ribbon creates the “walls” of the cars. Cut lengths of ½” ribbon and glue on the first ribbon to embellish the bottom edge of each car.
- Cut a length of the ½” ribbon and glue around the bottom edge of the engine. Cut another length of ½” ribbon and glue around the edge just above the first piece to cover the edge of the engine. Cut another length of ½” ribbon to glue around the top of the engines cube.
- Glue the 1.5” buttons to the ball wheels on the train engine and cars. Glue the snowflake buttons in the center of each wheel. Be sure to overlap the ribbon slightly with each button.
- Insert a floral pin halfway into each end of each car. String the end of a 4” piece of beaded garland through and push the rest of the floral pin in. Repeat on next car to connect cars together.
- Line the train cars with mini cupcake liners and fill with candies or mini cupcakes. Each car can hold six mini cupcake liners.