Skill Level: Beginner
- FloraCraft® Brand Products:
- Make It: Fun® foam Brand Foam Blocks, two 15/16" x 11 15/16" x 17 15/16
- Design It:® Silks & Naturals®: Desert Foam®, three Mug Plugs
- Dyed Spanish Moss, Green
- Foam Cutter
- Design Master® ColorTool® Spray Color: Aspen Yellow and Butter Crème
- 15 – 20 clean, dry, white eggshells (they may be in pieces)
- Three 2 1/2" diameter x 4" tall clean, soup cans (labels removed)
- 1/4" diameter x 36" length natural wood dowel
- Elmer's® CraftBond™ Tacky GlueX-ACTO®
- ∙ 5" Precision Tip Scissors
- ∙ #1 Craft Knife
- ∙ Foam Cutter
- Misc.: Glue gun and glue sticks, old newspapers, bowl for eggshells, large cardboard box (for spraying), black fine line permanent felt tip marker, masking tape, coping saw
- Use scissors to cut out chick pattern. Before removing plastic from Foam Block, trace pattern onto plastic using fine line marker, three times. Use craft knife to press through plastic, going along marker lines to impress Foam. Remove plastic and use Foam Cutter to cut out chicks.
- Use coping saw to cut dowel into 12″, 10″ and 8″ lengths. Referring to photo, notice where dowel is inserted in the bottom edge of each chick to make it appear to be looking down, straight ahead and up. Insert dowels into chick.
- Trim one Mug Plug as needed to fit down into one can. Hot glue bottom of Mug Plug to permanently attach to inside of can. Push the dowel of one chick into center of Mug Plug, going all the way down to bottom of can, but do not glue. Use this as the temporary way of holding chick when it needs to dry. (Wait to add moss.) Repeat with other two cans and chick dowels.
- Crush eggshells into small pieces (1/4″ diameter or less) in bow. In newspaper-covered area, generously spread glue on top surface of one Foam chick. As you would use glitter, cover glued area with eggshells. Tip over to remove excess, saving it on newspaper. Similarly apply glue and eggshells to sides and then back of chick so that it’s totally covered with eggshells. Let dry by setting back into Foam in can. Repeat with other two chicks.
- To protect dowels from spray, apply masking tape around one dowel, close to chick. Continue to apply tape down dowel for about 3″. Repeat with other chick dowels. In a well-ventilated, newspaper covered area (inside box) spray two chicks with Aspen Yellow and one chick with Butter Crème. Apply second coat if needed. Remove masking tape and set back inside Foam in cans to dry.
- If dowels are loose, hot glue. Also apply glue to top of Mug Plug and place handful of Spanish Moss onto it, covering Foam completely. Allow Moss to extend out beyond edge of can. Repeat with other two chicks.
Click image to enlarge pattern
One Longfellow Place
Ludington, MI 49431
P.O. Box 601
Boulder, CO 80306
Elmer’s® Products, Inc.
460 Polaris Pkwy. Ste. 500
Westerville, OH 43082