Fabric & Burlap Americana Decor
Skill Level: Beginner
- Make It: Fun® Foam:
- Stars, two 6" and one 9" diameter
- Balls, three 3" diameter
- Design It:® Floral Shears
- 5" x 6" (approx.) metal bucket
- Coordinating cotton fabric:
- Navy with small white stars, 1/3 yd.
- Rust red with small white stars, 1/8 yd.
- Blue and rust red plaid, 1/8 yd.
- Rust red gingham, 1/8 yd.
- Burlap garland, natural color, 5" wide x 4 yd. length
- Twine, natural color, 2 1/4 yd. length
- Permanent fine line felt tip marker
- Glue stick
- Glue gun
- To cover foam stars with navy fabric, use marker to lightly trace around star on back side of fabric. Use floral shears to cut out, 1/4″ outside marker line. Apply glue stick to star and center on wrong side of fabric star. Clip corners, pull up and glue each 1/4″ wide fabric edge onto star. At each point, fold fabric point toward inside and glue. Then fold up and glue the 1/4″ edges to the sides. Trim as needed.
- Again, trace star on navy fabric. Cut out, 1″ outside marker line. Apply glue stick to star and center on wrong side of fabric star. Before securing edges, clip corners and glue points as in
- Step 1. Cut and glue 1/2″ squares of fabric to cover inside corners where fabric was clipped. Then, fold down and glue 1″ edges to sides of star, overlapping the 1/4″ edges.
- Cut one 16″ and one 18″ length burlap garland. Cut each in half, lengthwise. Trim off and discard finished edges. Refer to photo to wrap small stars with 16″ lengths, trimming ends and spot gluing to hold. Wrap the large star with one of the 18″ lengths and use the other one as a tail that trails off the star. (Tuck end under one of the burlap wraps on back and glue.)
- Cut two 24″ and one 36″ length twine. Wrap a 24″ length around each small hear and the 36″ length around large star, going in various directions, as shown. Knot on front sides and trim ends as desired.
- Snip and tear three 1″ x 36″ lengths of each of the three remaining fabrics. (Note: Tear across fabric, width-wise, to get the 36″ length.) For each ball, spot glue one end of the first length to a ball. Then wrap length all around ball, going every which-way with the wraps. Continue wrapping with other two lengths until ball is completely covered.
- Arrange remaining burlap garland into folds in bucket and place one small star and two balls into burlap folds. Set other pieces next to bucket as shown.