Fall Letters Display
Skill Level: Beginner
What You'll Need
- FloraCraft® Make It: Fun® Foam
- Block, 15/16" x 11 15/16" x 17 15/16"
- Design Master ColorTool® spray color: October Brown, Basil (green), Terra Cotta (orange), and Almond
- Silk leaves, autumn colors, ten - twenty
- Pumpkins, two orange, 3" and 2" diameters
- Cutting mat (or stack of newspapers)
- large cardboard box (for spraying)
- permanent fine line marker
- serrated knife
- glue gun & glue sticks
- Template Letter: a
- Before removing plastic, place Foam Block on cutting mat and use ruler and permanent marker to draw line 3″ away from one long side, for the base. Use serrated knife to cut along lines. (Note: Cut through plastic and foam layers with several passes of the knife, keeping knife perpendicular to Foam so that edges are straight.) Leave plastic on large remaining piece. Along short side, draw 5″ x 7 3/4″ tall uppercase “F”, making it 2″ thick on vertical and horizontal cross bars. (Note: The lower, horizontal bar is 1 1/2″ lower and 1″ shorter than upper.) Also draw two lower case “l” rectangles that measure 2″ x 7 3/4″, leaving enough room to trace the “a” pattern provided. Use serrated knife to cut them, as you did the base.
- To smooth and slightly round all edges/corners, press Foam edge down onto table with even pressure as you rotate and smooth. Use bowl of spoon to smooth inside edges of “a”. Press large pumpkin into opening in “a”, carving with serrated knife as needed for it to fit snugly. Remove pumpkin for now.
- In a well-ventilated, newspaper-covered area (inside box) spray all sides of base with a couple of coats of October Brown. (Tip: Use toothpicks inserted into scrap Foam to hold piece up to dry. Similarly paint “L” Terra Cotta”; both “l”s Basil; and the “a”Almond. Let dry.
- Insert large pumpkin into “a”. To assemble on base, insert two toothpicks into bottoms of each letter. Set onto base as shown, angling letters as desired. When satisfied with arrangement, either hot glue contact points permanently, or leave unglued so that it can later be dis-assembled for storage.
- Pull or cut leaves from branches. Randomly arrange along base. Set small pumpkin among leaves.