Skill Level: Beginner
- FloraCraft® Brand Products:
- Make It: Fun® Foam: Two 3" Balls
- Design It:® Foam Cutter
- 12" balloons, one green and one yellow
- Felt buttons:
- 3/4" diameter: Six blue, six green and eight teal
- 1 1/4" diameter: One green and two teal
- One 1 1/2" diameter wood button (to weight base)
- Green acrylic paint (to match balloon)
- 7" length of 3/16" wood dowel
- Two 5mm black beads
- Two straight pins (with small, flat heads)
- 8" scissors (X-ACTO®)
- Paint brush
- Glue gun and glue sticks
- Old newspapers
- On newspaper-covered work surface, paint one Foam Ball green. Let dry.
- Use scissors to cut 1/2″ length slit in rounded end of green balloon. With a helper, stretch balloon over green Ball. To close opening, apply small amount hot glue to Ball, wait momentarily, then overlap cut edges and press onto glue. For fish lips, roll neck of balloon back on itself.
- Refer to photo. On work surface arrange 3/4″ felt buttons by overlapping to look like fish scales, using half the felt buttons: three blue, three green and four teal. (Note: There are two, three, two and three felt buttons in each vertical row of scales.) One at a time, on side of fish, beginning toward back, pin scales in place (to plan spacing and position). Adjust as needed. Then remove one or two scales at a time, set aside pins, apply hot glue to felt button – wait momentarily and press onto side of fish. Repeat on other side.
- For eyes, insert straight pin into beads and attach to fish on both sides. For tail, refer to photo to cut pieces off 1 1/2″ diameter green felt button to make one wedge-shaped tail. Apply hot glue to edge of felt button, wait momentarily and attach to back of fish. For top and bottom fins, refer to photo to trim two teal buttons and glue edges to body.
- For base, use Foam Cutter to cut other Ball in half. (Set aside one half for future use.) On flat side, use teaspoon to carve foam to fit wood button. (Note: Curved side of button fits up into Ball-half, so flat part is even with foam and sets flat on table.) Hot glue in place.
- Cut neck off yellow balloon. With helper, stretch balloon over rounded part of Ball-half base. (Note: There is no need to glue since the stretchiness of the balloon holds it in place.) Use point of scissors to make small hole in top of ball and insert dowel. Remove dowel, apply glue to dowel end and reinsert into base.
- Similarly, make hole and insert dowel into bottom of fish, adjusting to desired height.
One Longfellow Place
Ludington, MI 49431
Elmer’s® Products, Inc.
460 Polaris Pkwy. Ste. 500
Westerville, OH 43082