Fourth of July Starburst
Skill Level: Beginner
- FloraCraft® Make It: Fun® Foam:
- Block, 15/16" x 11-15/16" x 17-15/16"
- Ball, 4" diameter
- Satin ribbon, 1/8" wide, 30" length of each color: Red, white, blue
- DecoArt® Americana® Acrylic Paint: True Red, Ocean Blue, Snow (Titanium) White
- Cutting mat (or stack of newspapers)
- Paper straws: Red, white and blue (with stars)
- Permanent fine line black marker
- Optional: 1 1/4" and 1" wood stars, approx. 4 of each
- Medium paintbrush
- Three toothpicks
- Serrated knife
- Container of water
- Three paper plates
- Paper towels
- Glue gun & glue sticks
- Click here for: Starburst Template
- Place Foam Block on cutting mat and use marker to trace star pattern three times. Use serrated knife to cut along lines. (Note: Cut apart stars to separate and then cut out using several passes of the knife and keeping it perpendicular to Foam so that edges are straight.) Save scrap Foam.
- To smooth and round all edges/corners, press Foam edge down onto table with even pressure. Adjust to compress and smooth each corner.
- Insert toothpick into bottom of one star. Squeeze white paint onto one paper plate and paint front, back and sides of star. Set toothpick into scrap Foam to dry. Repeat with red and blue paint, letting stars dry. (Leave toothpicks in stars after dry.
- Use serrated knife to trim off 2 1/2″ diameter circle from bottom of Foam Ball. Paint blue and let dry.
- Use pencil to make three evenly spaced holes in top of Foam Ball, so that pencil angles out. Insert straw into each one. (Optional: Trim the front straw 1″ – 1 1/2″ shorter so that front star will be lower.) Wait to attach Foam stars.
- Cut each color ribbon into three 10″ lengths. Layer one red, white and blue ribbon and fold in half. Dot hot glue into fold area (catching all three layers) to hold crease. Insert fold into end of straw. Then insert toothpick of star into end of straw, beside ribbon. Repeat with other stars.
- Optional: For display, paint wood stars red and blue and set all on white shelf or as a table arrangement.
One Longfellow Place
Ludington, MI 49431
P.O. Box 386
Stanford, KY 40484