Fourth of July Starburst
Skill Level: Beginner
- FloraCraft® CraftFōM®:
- (1) 15/16" x 11-15/16" x 17-15/16" Block - White
- (1) 4" Ball - White
- Satin Ribbon, 1/8" x 30" Satin Ribbon:
- (1) Red
- (1) White
- (1) Blue
- Acrylic Paint:
- Paper Straws:
- Optional Accent: (4) 1 1/4" Wood Stars and (4) 1" Wood Stars
- Medium Paintbrush
- Three Toothpicks
- Serrated Knife
- Container of Water
- Three Paper Plates
- Paper Towels
- Glue Gun & Glue Sticks
- Cutting Mat
- Permanent Fine Tip Marker - Black
- Click here for: Starburst Template
- Place foam block on the cutting mat and use a marker to trace the star pattern three times. Use a serrated knife to cut along lines. (Note: Cut apart stars to separate and then cut out using several passes of the knife and keeping it perpendicular to foam so that edges are straight.) Save scrap foam.
- To smooth and round all edges/corners, press the foam edge down onto the table with even pressure. Adjust to compress and smooth each corner.
- Insert a toothpick into the bottom of one star. Squeeze white paint onto one paper plate and paint the star’s front, back, and sides. Set toothpick into scrap foam to dry. Repeat with red and blue paint, letting stars dry. (Leave toothpicks in stars after drying.
- Use a serrated knife to trim off a 2 1/2″ diameter circle from the bottom of the foam ball. Paint blue and let dry.
- Use a pencil to make three evenly spaced holes on top of the foam ball so that pencil angles out. Insert a straw into each one. (Optional: Trim the front straw 1″ – 1 1/2″ shorter so that the front star will be lower.) Wait to attach foam stars.
- Cut each color ribbon into three 10″ lengths. Layer one red, white and blue ribbon and fold in half. Dot hot glue into the fold area (catching all three layers) to hold the crease. Insert fold into the end of the straw. Then insert the toothpick of the star into the end of the straw, beside the ribbon. Repeat with other stars.
- Optional: For display, paint wood stars red and blue and set them all on a white shelf or as a table arrangement.