Skill Level: Beginner
- FloraCraft® Foam:
- Five - Sheets, 1x12x36”
- Spray Paints: black, brown
- Spray Paint: Indoor/Outdoor Matte Finish Sealer
- Poster Board: purple, red or black (Or for outdoors black trash bags)
- Low-Temp Glue Gun
- Styro Cutter® PLUS
- Design It: ® Foam Cutter or serrated knife
- Black Marker
- Cut one 36” sheet into three 12×12 squares.
- Cut one 36” sheet into two 12×18” pieces.
- Set the last 36” sheet and one 12×12 square aside for the lid.
- It’s easiest to build the coffin by laying it out on the floor or other large space. Attach the ends of two 36” sheets to either side of a 12×12 square, creating the bottom portion of the coffin. You will have to angle the edges where they meet so the pieces fit flush together. Angle the 36” sheets out from the 12×12 square so the open ends are about 20” apart.
- Repeat step 4, using two 12×18 sheets and a 12×12 square to create the top portion of the coffin.
- Glue the bottom and top portions of the coffin together angling the edges to fit flush.
- To create the look of individual boards in the coffin, press firmly into the foam with a dull pencil creating an indent. Carve lines along the length of the sheets. For more intricate wood grain, use the Styro Cutter Plus. Follow package instructions and use the tip of the cutter to etch the surface of the foam.
- For the lid; glue the 12×12 square to the end of the 36” sheet.
- Use the foam cutter to cut jagged edges on the lid as if something broke out of the coffin. Carve in the individual boards and add wood grain to match the bottom of coffin. To add contrast to the “boards” and wood grain detail, spray paint them black and let dry.
- Spray paint the entire coffin brown, trying not to cover the black details. Be sure to hold the can at least 12”, use several light coats, letting each coat dry before applying the next to achieve a dark shade. Spraying too close or too heavy of a coat will melt the foam. To help protect the coffin from outside elements, spray with 2 or 3 coats of sealer.
- Cut pieces of poster board to cover the back of the coffin. If using the coffin outdoors black trash bags could be used to cover the back.