Skill Level: Beginner
- FloraCraft® Brand Products:
- Make It: Fun® Block, 15/16" x 11 15/16" x 17 15/16"
- Make It: Fun® Foam Cutter
- ∙ DecoArt® Americana® Acrylic paint: Zinc (gray), Lamp Black, Avocado (green), Warm White and Chalkboard paint (black)
- ∙ Cardstock: 6" square of each: Dark gray and yellow
- ∙ Black Halloween ribbon, approx. 1/2" wide x 1 yd. long
- ∙ 6-10 miniature Halloween characters (resin, plastic, scrapbook mini embellishments or stickers attached to cardstock and cut out)
- ∙ Paintbrushes: 2" wide and 1/4" wide chisel
- ∙ White chalk
- ∙ Permanent fine line marker
- ∙ Old newspapers (to cover work area)
- ∙ Low temp glue gun and glue sticks
- ∙ Misc.: Scissors, pencil, ruler, paper plate, toothpicks, water container, paper towels
- This is a great project for kids, with a little help from an adult. Use permanent marker and ruler to draw 6″ x 10″ base on Foam. Cut out Large House and Small Addition patterns and trace onto Foam. Use Foam Cutter to cut out pieces. From scraps, also cut 1/2″ x 2″ and 1/2″ x 1 1/4″ pieces for Chimney.
- Use large paintbrush to paint both Large House and Small Addition with Zinc, including edges and backs. Paint Base Avocado and Chimney pieces Black. Let dry.
- To paint siding lines on house, squeeze quarter size puddle of White onto plate. Add enough water and mix with small brush to create cream-consistency. Practice on back of Large House, first. Place ruler horizontally across House, just under roofline. Paint 1/4″ wide stripe of white paint across Foam. Move ruler down 1/2″. Paint another stripe. When comfortable with process, turn over Large House similarly paint horizontal stripes, moving ruler down into dry area each time and painting stripes all the way down. (Keep checking to make sure lines are horizontal.) Let dry.
Repeat with Small Addition.
- Use pencil to trace window pattern onto dark gray cardstock, making one with shutter on right, one with shutter on left, one with both shutters and two without shutters at all. Also draw 1 1/2″ x 2 3/4″ rectangle for door. Use scissors to cut out.
- Using pencil and ruler, draw line to separate window from shutter on each that have shutters.Use small paintbrush to paint window area only (not shutters) using Chalkboard Paint. Use pencil to draw square window in door and paint, also. Let dry.
- Use marker to outline and draw horizontal lines on shutters, letting them be wiggly for a spooky look.
Draw handle plate and handle on door. Fold shutters over and re-open. Use chalk to lightly draw window lines, making one vertical line and two evenly-spaced horizontal lines in each window.
Then draw ghost outlines, one in each window. (Make them in all different parts of the windows, some upside down.) Use small, dry paintbrush to lightly spread chalk inside ghost body. Re-outline and make white eyes. Trace marker around eyes and make small, solid oval mouths. Then press harder to make whiter and slightly wider window chalk lines.
- With Large House flat on table, use glue gun to attach Small Addition, with bottoms aligned. Leaving house down, arrange windows according to photo by holding onto shutters or an un-chalked areas of windows. Glue windows (not shutters). Slightly bend door where hinges would be and glue that area only to Addition.
- Insert 3-5 toothpicks (going in about half way) into bottom of Large House and Small Addition. Position in center, at angle on green Base and press into place. Remove, apply glue gun glue and press back down into same toothpick holes.
- For Chimney, trim off part of thickness of two thin Foam pieces and glue together to form a “T” (with shorter length going across longer length). Insert toothpick half into bottom and glue onto top left of tallest roof. For Moon, trace around an approx. 4″ mug or cup and go over with marker. Cut out and glue to back of roof, so that moon shows from top right front.
- Glue end of ribbon at center back and wrap around base, applying glue at each corner to hold. Determine placement of characters. Press them into foam to create small indentions. Then glue into place. (Spiders can just be glued to surfaces.)
PATTERNS (click to enlarge)
One Longfellow Place
Ludington, MI 4943
P.O. Box 386
Stanford, KY 40484