Skill Level: Beginner
- FloraCraft® Brand Products:
- Make It: Fun® FloraCraft® Foam Ball, 5" diameter
- Smooth Foam Balls, two 2" diameter
- Design It:®SimpleStyle® Decorative Mesh:
- 10" wide, 6-7 yds., Orange
- 1 yd. lengthLight Green (Optional for display)
- Foam Cutter
- Design Master® ColorTool® spray color: Orange and Olive Bright (green)
- Elmer's® Painters® paint markers: Black, Light Blue and White
- Chenille stems, 12" lengths, two orange, one red
- 8" scissors
- Glue gun and glue sticks (low temperature if children help)
- Old newspapers
- Cardboard box (for spraying)
- Use Foam Cutter to cut off 4″ diameter slice from bottom of 5″ Ball, so that monster has a base. Brush off crumbs.
- In a well-ventilated, newspaper-covered area, inside cardboard box, spray large ball Orange and two small balls Olive Bright. Let dry.
- Use scissors to cut five of the yards, Orange Decorative Mesh into 5″ squares. (Note: squares do not have to be perfect and fraying adds to the charm. Wait to cut remaining yardage of Orange as needed. Save Green Decorative Mesh for display.)
- Orange ball will be covered with mesh, all around, except on bottom so that monster can set flat on table or floor. With ball flat on table, use pencil to press hole in ball at bottom (about 3/4″ deep). (Note: Hole should be parallel with table.) Pick up ball, squeeze glue gun glue into hole. Find center of one mesh square, gather edges and twist center down into hole.
- Repeat with next hole about 1″ away from first, along bottom edge. Practice a couple of times to coordinate applying glue in hole and gathering mesh so that glue hasn’t cooled by the time the mesh is inserted. Continue all around bottom of ball.
- For next row, make holes spaced 1″ away, above and staggered above first row. Continue making staggered horizontal rows all around ball until entire ball (except base) is filled. Use extra yardage of mesh if needed.
- Refer to photo. For each eye, use Black paint marker to draw squiggly circle and then smaller squiggly circle inside that. Fill in smaller one with black. When dry, fill in area between squiggles with Light Blue paint marker. Let dry. (Apply second coat for brighter colors, if desired.) Add dot of white in each eye for highlight. Let dry.
- Wrap orange chenille stem around paint marker to coil and remove. Push end of chenille stem into bottom of eyeball. (Apply glue if needed to hold.) Press other end of stem in between Orange mesh, into orange ball. Repeat with other eye. Allow eyes to wobble above surface of mesh.
- For mouth, bend red chenille stem into irregular zig zags and curve into smile. Insert stem ends into mesh and pinch ends to hold. (Note: stem ends do not need to go all the way down into ball – just pinched onto mesh.) Display Monster on Green mesh.
One Longfellow Place
Ludington, MI 49431
P.O. Box 601
Boulder, CO 80306
Elmer’s® Products, Inc.
460 Polaris Pkwy. Ste. 500
Westerville, OH 43082