Skill Level: Beginner
- FloraCraft® Brand Products:
- Make It: Fun® STYROFOAM™ Ball Multi-pack* (includes one 4", one 3", two 2 1/2" and two 2" balls)
- Foam Cutter
- Black acrylic paint
- Black pompoms: Three 1 1/2" and one 1/2" diameter
- 9" x 12" piece black felt
- Two 15mm wiggle eyes
- 1" diameter pink, glittered flower
- Tacky glue (Elmer's® CraftBond™)
- 8" scissors (X-ACTO®)
- Black fine line marker
- Paint brush
- Old newspapers
(*Note: From this package, there will be one 2 1/2″ Ball left over for a future project.)
- For head and body, use Foam Cutter to cut 1″ diameter slice off each 3″ and 4″ STYROFOAM™ Balls. Place cut side of 4″ Ball (body) down on work surface. Referring to photo for angle of head, position cut side of 3″ Ball (head) on body, slightly back from top center. Trim 4″ Ball (body) at location you want to place head . Connect head and body with toothpicks, but don’t glue yet. (Note: Throughout rest of construction, temporarily hold STYROFOAM™ pieces together with toothpicks or toothpick halves. Then, when instructed, take apart to paint and reassemble.)
- For legs, use serrated knife to cut one 2 1/2″ Ball in half. To round cut edges, carefully press edges on work surface to compress STYROFOAM™. Place legs against body and trim legs to nestle into body. Connect legs to body with toothpicks.
- For arms, cut one 2″ diameter Ball in half, then cut each half, in half again for total of four pieces (like sections of an orange). Similarly, round cut edges of each piece. (Note: One 2″ diameter Ball will make two arms and two paws.) For arm, place one section, cut side down on work surface and trim 1/4″ off one end. Referring to photo, hold (and use toothpick to attach) section to side of body; then with second section, make paw by trimming about 1/2” off, at proper angle, so that segments can join. Connect sections with toothpick. With remaining two sections, make other arm/paw.
- For muzzle, cut 1 1/2″ diameter slice off 2″ diameter Ball and discard larger piece of Ball. Round edges of slice. With teaspoon, gently scoop out center of slice so that muzzle can fit onto head. Hold in place with toothpick. (Note: If turned head is desired, place muzzle to one side, close to an arm.)
- While body is still together (held with toothpicks), refer to photo and use marker to draw a line around top third of body where you will be painting it black. Take apart body but place on table so that you know how to reassemble. On newspaper-covered work surface, paint top third of body, all arm and leg pieces with black paint. (Note: Head, muzzle and lower body will remain white.) Let dry.
- Use toothpicks and tacky glue to reassemble Panda, except for muzzle. Let dry.
- For eyes, from felt, cut two 1″ x 1 1/2″ ovals. Position and glue eye patches to face. (Notice angle to eye patches in relationship to muzzle so that head looks tilted.) Then attach muzzle, slightly overlapping bottoms of eye patches, using glue and toothpicks. Glue wiggle eyes to eye patches, close to muzzle. Glue 1/2″ pom for nose and large poms for ears. (again, angling properly for head tilt.) Glue flower to head in front of Panda’s left ear.
One Longfellow Place
Ludington, MI 49431
Elmer’s® Products, Inc.
460 Polaris Pkwy. Ste. 500
Westerville, OH 43082