Sheet Music Ornament
Skill Level: Beginner
- FloraCraft® Make It: Fun® Foam Ball, 3" diameter
- Sheet music (from old hymnal or scrapbook paper)
- Natural jute twine, 1 1/2 yd. length
- Six 9mm red jingle bells
- DecoArt® Walnut Gel Stain™
- Design Master® Matte Clear Spray Finish
- Old dictionary pages, 8 – 10
- Glue stick
- Paper Trimmer
- Small, pointed scissors
- Paint brush, medium size
- Paper towels
- Glue gun and glue sticks
- Old newspapers
- Cardboard box (for spraying)
- Use paper trimmer to cut one sheet of music into 1/2″ x 5″ vertical strips. (Note: As you cut, keep strips in order so that it’s easier to (somewhat) match on foam ball.
- Apply generous amount of glue stick to front half of foam ball. Attach first strip from top center of ball down to bottom center. Working left to right and attaching strips in order, attach more strips, slightly overlapping previous one as you go. When front of ball is covered, apply glue and continue working around back of ball. Let dry.
- In a well-ventilated, newspaper-covered area (inside box) lightly spray ball with clear matte spray finish. Let dry. (Note: This is done before staining, so that stain doesn’t soak in and become too dark.)
- To antique ball, apply a little gel stain with paint brush, and then rub with paper towel to stain the area. Continue applying and rubbing all around ball. (Note: While gel stain is still damp, rub off or add as much as needed to achieve the desired darkness.) Let dry. Give final coat of matte spray finish.
- Cut twine into 5″, 6″ and 7″ lengths. On each end, thread red bell and knot close to end. Hot glue middle of each length to top of ball, in “criss, cross, criss” formation (like a line-drawn snowflake), so that ends hang down onto ball at staggered lengths.
- For loops at top, use remaining yard of twine. Hot glue one end to top center and make 1 1/2″ long loop, gluing to hold. Without cutting length, continue making similar loops next to each other, going all around top of ball, creating about 7 loops. Make one final loop 3″ long as the hanger loop and glue end back underneath other twine at top center. Let dry before hanging.
One Longfellow Place
Ludington, MI 49431
P.O. Box 386
Stanford, KY 40484
P.O. Box 601
Boulder, CO 80306