Snow Cone Fun
Skill Level: Beginner
- FloraCraft® Make It: Fun® Foam
- Balls, three, 3" diameter
- Scrap of Foam (to hold painted balls while drying)
- Design It:® Wire Cutter
- Diamond Dust
- 12" x 12" white cardstock
- DecoArt® Americana® Acrylic Paint: Carousel Pink, Bright Orange and Bright Yellow
- Paper straw, one of each color: Pink, orange and yellow
- Paper clips, plastic coated, one of each color: Pink, orange and yellow
- Baker's twine, 12" length of each color: Pink, orange and yellow
- Design Master® Glue for Glitter (spray adhesive)
- Medium paintbrush
- Three craft sticks
- Serrated knife
- Container of water
- Plastic spoon
- Four paper plates
- Masking tape
- Paper towels
- Paper bag
- Large cardboard box (for spraying)
- Old newspapers
- Glue gun & glue sticks
- Click Here For Template: SNOW CONE
- Insert craft stick into bottom of one Foam Ball. Squeeze pink paint onto paper plate and paint. Insert other end of craft stick into scrap Foam to let Foam Ball dry. Repeat with orange and yellow paint on other Foam Balls and let dry. (Leave craft sticks in Foam Balls.)
- Insert single-loop ends of paper clips down into tops of Foam Balls, directly opposite craft sticks. Allow 1/4″ of top loops to show. (Vary colors of Foam Balls and paper clips as desired.) To prevent loops from getting sticky in Step 3, use a small piece of masking tape to cover each loop.Insert a pencil at the vertical angle you’ll want the straw to be and remove, so that there is a place for the straw to be added, later. Repeat with other two Foam Balls.
- Set the last paper plate on table and pour Diamond Dust onto it – about 1/2″ thick. Set plastic spoon beside plate. In a well-ventilated, newspaper-covered area (inside box), spray one ball with spray adhesive. (Hold Foam Ball by craft stick.) Immediately, roll Foam Ball into Diamond Dust on plate, generously coating it all over. Use plastic spoon to scoop up Diamond Dust to pour onto any sparse areas, avoiding going down into straw hole. Set back into scrap Foam to dry. Repeat with other Foam Balls. Pour Diamond Dust back into container, bending plate as needed. Thoroughly clean work area.
- Use pencil to trace cone pattern onto cardstock, three times. Use scissors to cut out. Roll into cones and hot glue tabs to insides of cones.
- When Foam Balls are thoroughly dry, remove from scrap Foam. Remove masking tape from loops. Carefully hold one Foam Ball and place craft stick down into paper cone to see how much of the stick needs trimming for it to fit so that Foam Ball is nestled into rim of cone. Working inside paper bag to catch any flying pieces, trim that amount from end of craft stick, using wire cutter. (Hint: Trim just a little at a time and keep checking – The cut end of craft stick can be tapered as needed to fit into point of cone.) When the fit is right, apply large dot of hot glue to end of craft stick and insert into point of cone. (This is all that is needed to hold the cone.)
- Insert straw into holes in Foam Balls. Then, use scissors to trim to 3″. Hot glue if loose.
- Insert chosen color baker’s twine into paper clip loops, make overhand knots and hang.
- Note: Snow cones are for decoration only. Keep Diamond Dust out of reach of children.
One Longfellow Place
Ludington, MI 49431
P.O. Box 386
Stanford, KY 40484