Summer Sand Castle
Skill Level: Beginner
- FloraCraft® Brand Products:
- Make It: Fun® Foam:
- Block, 4 7/8" x 4 7/8" x 4 7/8"
- Four cones, 2 3/8" x 3 7/8"
- Scrap, 1 1/2" x 4 1/2" x 1/4" thick (optional for draw bridge)
- Design It:®
- Foam Cutter
- Floral Shears
- Sand, white and blue
- Clay pot saucer, 11" diameter
- Design Master®:
- ColorTool® Spray Color, white
- Tack 1000 spray adhesive
- Scrapbook paper, approx. 2" x 4", colorful stripe
- Four toothpicks
- Pencil or fine line black marker
- Craft knife
- Old newspapers
- Large cardboard box (for spraying)
- Glue gun and glue sticks
- In a well-ventilated, newspaper-covered area (inside cardboard box) spray clay pot saucer with primer. Let dry. Then spray with two coats white and let dry.
- On top of block, use pencil or marker and ruler to draw a square 1/2″ in from edges. Use Foam Cutter along those lines, going down about 1/2″. Then use spoon to carve out that square. (This will allow for castle notches to be cut.)
- Refer to photo to draw notches along top edge, going about 1/2″ deep. Continue drawing all around outside of block. Then carefully use craft knife to cut out notches. (Note: If any snap off, glue to reattach.)
- On front, draw 2″ x 3″ tall door with curved top and two 3/4″ square windows near the top. Also draw three windows on the other three sides in line with windows on front. Use craft knife to trace lines and then carve out, about 1/2″ deep.
- Use Foam Cutter to trim 1 1/2″ off base of each cone. Hot glue cones on top of castle.
- Inside box, spray castle with spray adhesive. Remove from box and set on newspaper-covered table. Then spring castle with white sand. (Apply all over as you would with glitter.) Gently shake castle to remove excess sand. Let dry. (If making moat, also apply adhesive to scrap piece of foam and cover with sand.)
- For flags, use Floral Shears to cut four 3/4″ x 1 1/4″ long triangles and glue to ends of toothpicks. Insert toothpicks into tops of cones. Set castle in saucer. Fill bottom of saucer with blue sand so that it comes up onto sides of castle a little bit. Set moat between doorway and edge of saucer.
One Longfellow Place
Ludington, MI 49431
P.O. Box 601
Boulder, CO 80306