Trap Door with Creepy Fingers
Skill Level: Beginner
- FloraCraft® Foam:
- One - Sheet, 1x12x36”
- Spray Paints: black, brown, moss green
- Spray Paint: Indoor/Outdoor Matte Finish Sealer
- Rope; (loop handle)
- Low-Temp Glue Gun
- Styro Cutter® PLUS
- Design It:® Foam Cutter or serrated knife
- Dull Pencil
- Use the foam cutter to cut the sheet in half to create two 12×18” pieces.
- Cut an 1” strip off the 12” end of one 12×18” piece. Set 1” piece aside for fingers.
- Glue together the 18” side of one piece to the 17” side of the other piece flush at one end.
- Use the dull pencil, pressing firmly, to carve lines the length of the sheets to create the look of cracks between the boards. Use the foam cutter to cut jagged edges into the ends of the “boards”. Draw in the wood grain with the pencil or for more intricate detail use the STYROCUTTER plus. Follow the package directions carefully and use the tip of the cutter to etch just the surface of the foam.
- To create the fingers: Use the foam cutter to cut the 1” strip in half creating two 12 x ½” pieces.
- For the pinky finger cut (2) 2” long pieces, for the ring finger cut (2) 3” long, for the middle finger (2) 4” long, and for the pointer finger cut (2) 3” long.
- Use the STYROCUTTER to shape the individual pieces to resemble bones.
- Glue the finger pieces together so they are slightly bent. Wrap each finger with cheesecloth. Glue the ends of the fingers together so the fingers are spread out slightly. Spritz with small amounts of black spray paint to give a dusty aged look.
- Spray just the cracks and the wood grain details with the black spray paint, holding the can too close or spraying too heavy of a coat will melt the foam. Hold can 12” away and use several light coats to achieve solid color. Let one coat dry before applying the next. Spray the boards brown. Spray touches of moss green to age the door. Spray entire door with 2 coats of sealer.
- Pilot a hole thru the door for the rope handle and glue in place.